Talk to the hand!
|“|| <X>, one of the weaponthanes you sent on the exploration party to the north, returns from the expedition without a hand. He tells a terrifying story. "We found a land still impregnated by chaos, especially in the many tunnels and caves that underlie it. <Y> and I chose to explore one of the larger groups of tunnels, for we saw broo within and thought it would be holy to slay them. Instead, we fought a chaotic magician with a hand for a head, and hands for feet. He captured me and chopped off my hand. Then <Y> and others came and rescued me from his clutches. I know he means to make my hand a part of him, and fear that I will be forever cursed by chaos unless it is destroyed. Please, let us assemble another expedition quickly, before we are all tainted by this awful magic."
- If you feel quite capable in magic you can enact a magic ritual to purge the chaos taint. Success frees him, while failure increases the chaos energies in your tula.
- If you prefer to let someone take the risks, you can hire mercenaries to search and destroy <X>'s hand. However, this is dangerous, and there is a good chance the mercenaries will die. If they fail, then their families will expect compensation. Needless to say, if you don't pay in such a circumstances, your clan's reputation will fall with other clans.
- If you worry about chaos taint, but want an easy solution, then outlaw and kill <X>. As long as you have some measure of persuasion, the rest of the clan will understand why, though it is possible the weaponthanes will take issue with the expedient solution.
- The easiest solution, refusing <X> maintains the status quo, though it does increase the chance of Chaos manifestations.
- The greatest chance for glory is also the hardest choice: sending a party to recover <X>'s hand. This is a tough combat, so don't be surprised if your party doesn't come back. Success will reveal a large pile of treasure that you can bring back, such as silver coins and jeweled sword hilt. However, these aren't any actual treasures, just a good stash of goods. If you bring them back, there is a chance the chaos around your tula will increase.
Note: Increases in chaos can manifest in the appearance of broos, internal strife, etc.